Sunday, May 13, 2007

In Defense of Al Sharpton

Now I have given my couple of jabs at Sharpton here over the past few weeks. Mostly because I believe he's not sincere about stamping out racist language. If he was, he would have gone after the hip hop crowd long ago.

But what he has done with the Imus firing is indicated that the line drawn has moved again. Radio hosts and those in the media must be ever more careful about what they say. If this means there will be less negative "racial" commentary on the radio...that's probably a good thing.

When Imus made the nappy headed hos comment, I felt like a kid in the 6th grade watching some other kid who had just thrown a spitball at the teacher's back. Bad thing for him to do, but those of us watching felt something...I'm not sure what, but there's something about having people around who step over the line sometimes...throw the spitball.

No comments: