Saturday, May 5, 2007

Sheryl, I'm with you but...

Put it in a song. I think you're doing right. I bought and like your first album. You are a cool lady. I totally agree with you, but to me you sound whiny and overreaching with this. Sadly, you are doing a good job of making yourself uncool. Please stop! (my comments in bold. Let's Dance, Sheryl)

You wrote:

First, I am deeply concerned over where we are as a nation. (fine Sheryl, leave it at this)

We are so blessed to live in a country where we enjoy so many rights that other countries cannot even begin to imagine. (oh, yes how wonderfully said.) However, what terrifies me is not what we are ignoring about the state of our planet but the fact that we seem to have lost touch with our connection to the earth. (So now you are a tree hugger.)We have risen to great heights of arrogance in our refusal to acknowledge that the earth is changing. We hold steadfast to our belief that nothing can happen to us as a people. (Sheryl, I'm trying to connect this with the image I have of you after hearing your music and reading about your AFTER CONCERT requirements) We get into our oversized, war-machine-like vehicles, get on our cell phones and blackberries, and avoid having human contact all day long. (Oh please.)

Been said a million times, now falling on deaf ears. This is the tree-hugging, "un-cool," bleeding heart prose that will get us nowhere.

We need to make caring for the environment cool. So far it's not. The fact that you are doing the right thing is great, but it needs to become cool. And for some sick reason, the media have tried to take your "coolness" and give it to Rove.

We can't let that happen. How do we make the environment "cool?"

"Global Warming Ain't Cool" -- There's your next song Sheryl.

No comments: